Dr. Robin Unger: NY Hair Loss Doctor
If you are considering hair transplant surgery, Dr. Robin Unger provides hair restoration NYC residents know they can trust. Dr. Unger’s patients include both women and men; and she offers transplant surgery for the recreation for many areas of hair loss including crowns, temple hair, hairlines, sideburns, and eyebrows. If you’re looking for the experience and discretion of top hair restoration specialist, Dr. Robin Unger may be able to help you restore the hairline you’ve always wanted.
What You Need to Know About Hair Transplant Surgery
You may have tried many solutions to reverse your hair loss, but experienced poor results at best. While in the past it was common to conceal hair loss with toupees or wigs, medical advancements have made hair transplants possible, and permanent. Dr. Unger has developed groundbreaking hair transplant techniques for those suffering from alopecia. When it comes to hair restoration NYC offers a range of solutions, so it is important to first consult with a surgeon and discuss your case.
Choosing a Surgeon Who Performs Hair Restoration in NYC
When searching for NYC hair restoration clinics, there are several things to keep in mind. Hair transplants can restore hair, and they can restore your self-confidence. During your first evaluation, the surgeon should be able to give you an idea of what to expect for results and recovery time. Not everyone is a good candidate for hair transplant surgery — be prepared for the possibility that the surgeon may not recommend it in your case.
What Hair Transplants Involve
Hair transplant surgery was first developed in the 1950’s, but recent advancements have greatly increased its effectiveness. Today, hair transplants can appear more natural than a wig, even wigs that are custom-fitted.
Most hair transplant surgery is performed in the surgeon’s office, rather than at a hospital. Regardless of the specific type of hair transplant, the procedure will generally follow these steps:
- Dr. Unger’s team will sterilize your scalp before injecting an anesthetic that will numb any feeling in the back of your head.
- Dr. Unger’s team uses two different methods to harvest the healthy follicles: the follicular unit extraction (FUE) method and the strip harvest method. For a minority of her patients, Dr. Unger may choose to use the FUE method, where the predetermined number of hair follicles are removed one at a time from a shaved area. For most of her patients, however, Dr. Unger uses the strip harvest method, which does not require the any shaving of the head.
- After preparing the hair grafts for implantation, Dr. Unger’s team will clean the surgery site and inject an anesthetic to numb the site. Using a scalpel or needle, very small holes will be created in the scalp for each graft.
- From start to finish, each surgery takes up to eight hours. When it comes to hair restoration, NYC has several doctors who perform this procedure; however, Dr. Unger’s attention to detail and highly skilled team ensure her patients get the highest level of quality care.
The Recovery Process
Following the surgery, you may experience tenderness in the scalp. This can usually be alleviated with pain medication and an antibiotic that Dr. Unger can prescribe. She may have you protect your scalp for several days by wearing bandages. The majority of patients return to work from two to five days after the surgery.
The transplanted hair will fall out within two to three weeks after the surgery, and new growth should begin after a few months. Most patients will experience 60 percent of new hair growth after six to nine months.
Any surgery will have risks, including hair transplant surgery. Risks for this procedure include:
- Infection of the hair follicles. Known as folliculitis, it usually occurs when the new hair begins growing. Compresses and antibiotics can help with infections.
- Shock loss. Some of the original hair may fall out in the area of the new grafts. Usually, this is temporary.
- Unnatural-looking new hair growth
Contact a Hair Transplant Surgeon New York can Trust
Hair transplant surgery can make a dramatic difference in your life. If you’d like to discover what it is about hair restoration NYC locals are excited about, call 646-257-3768 today to make an appointment with Dr. Unger to find out if it’s right for you.