Platelet-Rich Plasma Treatment for Hair Loss: Here’s What to Know

PRP Hair Restoration New York

Many men and women and think of their hair as a reflection of their identity. Whether it’s long or short, blonde or brunette, how you choose to wear your hair can define your personality and individual style. The thought of losing your hair can be scary. Unfortunately, it’s a common event many people face.

About Hair and Hair Loss

The human scalp typically contains somewhere around 100,000 hairs. Overall, about 85 percent of them generally are in the or growth phase of the hair cycle. The remaining 15 percent are in the resting phase of the cycle, soon to be shed or fall out.

Hair in the growth phase typically remains on the scalp approximately three years before falling out, and people tend to shed upwards of 150 hairs per day. However, these numbers can be significantly exacerbated in certain situations.

Hair loss and thinning can come about for various reasons. Sometimes you experience it because of changes in your life, and increased amounts of shedding may resolve on their own without treatment. However, if more significant amounts of hair are being shed and thinning is noticeable, you may wish to seek out a hair treatment doctor for an exam.

Causes of Hair Loss

Stress and Trauma

Life events such as illness or infection, major surgery, divorce, the death of a loved one, or the severe stress from an accident or injury can cause an of enormous physical and emotional impact that can shock the hair into changing phases in its typical cycle. After a motor vehicle or work-related accident, a more significant percentage of the hair on your head may be in the “soon to be shed” phase.


When hormone levels drop or go out of balance, hair loss may occur.

Hormonal changes can lead to changes in our hair and body. And as we age, some of our hair follicles can under function or stop functioning, leading to thinner hair.

Poor Nutrition

A sudden drop in weight or insufficient nutrition can exacerbate hair thinning and loss and can also affect hormones in the body.

Hairstyles, Overhandling, and Excessive Use of Hair Products

Things that can cause traction alopecia include:

  • Tight styles
  • Braids
  • Ponytails
  • Cornrows
  • Combing or brushing hair too much or too hard
  • Excessive or improper use of styling products

Anything that creates a gradual and constant irritation to the scalp can cause hair to fall out.

PRP Treatment

Hair regrowth treatments using platelet-rich plasma (PRP) can be used alone or as part of a total treatment protocol. PRP uses your own blood, which is drawn and then processed to concentrate the platelets and growth factors. Then, the concentrated PRP is injected into the scalp to stimulate the hair follicles to regrow hair. The majority of patients get injections without any or minimal discomfort, and there is typically only negligible downtime.

If you would like to find out how PRP can help with your hair thinning or loss, and furthermore, if you’d like to know if the cost of the treatment can be included in an accident-related personal injury claim, speak to your PRP hair treatment doctor. Schedule a consultation to discuss the details today.


Wikipedia, Hair Treatment

Dr. Robin Unger, MD, PRP Hair Restoration New York